The Archaeological Society of Alexandria was founded in 21 April 1893. Its system was agreed upon in 18 May 1894 which was modified according to the law no. 32 of 1964.
The main field of the Society’s activities is “Cultural Services”. The Society aims at searching all what can illustrate to the topography and history of ancient Alexandria and its environs, its monuments, institutions, morals of its inhabitants during the Ptolemaic, Roman, Coptic and Arab period.
Members of the Society are of various nationalities: Italian, Egyptian, British, French, Greek, Swedish, German, Polish and American as well as Alexandrians whose aim is to protect, preserve and promote their city’s heritage.
True to the composition of its membership, the Society stood as an intermediary between the professional historians and archaeologist and the community at large.
The premises of the Archaeological Society of Alexandria are part of a continuing history. Modest in size but rich in atmosphere, they present an island of studious calm in the heart of the city where one can consult the extensive and eclectic library, and, of course, attend the Society’s programme of lectures.
The Society’s funds, originated from the subscriptions of its members and donations, should be spent exclusively on archaeological researches according to the previously mentioned objectives.
The cultural programme of the Society is organized annually in two seasons. The first season usually starts at Oktober, the second at February. It constitutes excursions to the archaeological sites in Alexandria and Egypt in addition to one summer excursion abroad to some countries of heritage. Lectures have been an integral part of the Society’s activities since its foundation and recent years have seen, if anything, an increase in their regularity.